I just realized I did not give an update from the Commercial Job, the Apartment Complex ceiling I was working on last week. I think I was just so happy to get out of that oven that I put it behind me to enjoy the weekend! When I last left off, I was wilting away, toiling with the lovely Rattan stencil. It was repeatedly falling on my head because it was about 100 degrees and very humid in the entryway space where I was attempting to stencil the ceiling. My friend and fellow decorative painter, Denise, came to my rescue and gave me a hand. Now, I am sure she is cursing me, since it just got hotter and more humid the 2 days she helped me out. We both had our cameras with us, but decided not to take a picture of each other, fearing I would alienate the few readers I actually do have reading this blog! We really looked and felt miserable.
We added a 1 1/2″ border around the ceiling design in both buildings. Buidling #600 is completely done, but Building #700 still needs to have some areas touched up. I’ll do this after the 4th of July holiday when I return to start work in the Clubhouse. I am only going to attempt to touch up that ceiling if it is much, much cooler and less humid. Same goes for even beginning the ceiling in Building #800! I’m going to have to forget all my pain and suffering before I will be able to start one more identical ceiling in the final Apartment Building!
Today, I began a new residential job. I am using a combination of stencils and freehand painting. All work is being done on some new cabinetry and a bathroom vanity. Both have been painted an off white by the cabinet maker. The theme is Fish and Seashells.
In the new bath, my inspiration was this glass tile. I have been dying to try some of Helen and Rachel Morris’s stencils from their Mosiac Line. I used a great shell border, but had to make a few adjustments with the layout to make it fit the panels. I am using all Modern Masters Metallic paints for both sets of cabinetry. Additionally, I am highlighting with Goldens Interference colors, which is really giving the mosiacs the look of glass tile. On the other designs I will be using (not mosiacs), it is just giving the shells and fish a great, shimmered look that changes with the light. I haven’t worked with the Interference colors a lot, but think I need to do much more exploring with this line! The colors are expensive though.
The vanity went well and fairly quickly. The major obstacle today, was myself! I was nervous because I feel these clients are not totally convinced I can do a good job. They have had me do some furniture for them over the years, but never have allowed me to do work in their home. They have used another decorative painter extensively throughout this home and a second vacation home they own. I’m not typically nervous on the job, even with new clients, but this one had me a bit jittery today. (and I did not even have coffee with me!)
So, just to prove how out of sorts I was… after I finished the vanity, I moved onto the main room, a basement level playroom, newly remodeled.
First I stenciled the 3 drawer fronts, no problem. Then, I moved onto one of a set of 3, fish panels. I had almost one panel done, stepped back to view, and realized I had stenciled it upside down! 🙁 Fearing I would be discovered by the homeowners, I raced around looking for my supplies to wash it all off. This, I did, successfully and undetected. 🙂 Next, I quickly put the stencil back in place, the correct way!, and continued. I did not quite finish the panel, but it was nearing 4 pm and time for me to head home. I hope to be finished by Wednesday with this job. The homeowner looked at me quite skeptical when I told her this, but I did add, I would come back on Thursday if needed. Here’s hoping tomorrow goes a little smoother and quicker!