Ok, this is life # 3 for these dining room chairs, but who’s counting? I truly love the shape of these 2 chairs, so see no reason to part with them, but of course, I do tire of the same old thing, and must occasionally do a little rehab! I started off with a rough sketch of my idea and thought I’d make some slipcovers using linen and a lime green fabric.
When these chairs first arrived in my home they were a set of 4, two different styles. Two chairs were upholstered in bright turquoise pleather and two with a bright orange pleather, so I guess, technically, they have had 4 lives that I know of. The frame was painted an off white.
This will be the third time I’ve recovered and painted these chairs. I know I have pictures of their former lives somewhere, but am too lazy to hunt them down, so you’ll just have to take my word for it. This is what they looked like just before I recovered them this time.
I removed all of this fabric and added a little more batting to the seats and backs to plump them up a bit, making those long dinners with friends and family, much more comfortable. I also decided that I would give up two of the four chairs, as I was not crazy about the overall design of these two, and had enough other chairs to go around the table.
My original sketch for the pattern had to be revised once I started sewing. I did try this, but in the end, found it too bulky with the bottom ruffle and just did not like the overall look. Discarding the one I made, I opted for an upholstered look for the backs. Oh, and instead of using linen, I found these great burlap coffee bags, for $1 each at a salvage/closeout store.
I pulled out my trusty old sewing machine. This machine has to be at least 30 years old, maybe closer to 35, because I have had it long before my daughter was born and she is 27. I should really have it tuned up, but outside of being a little slow, it works fine.