This past weekend I went to NH to spend a little time with my long time friend, Maura, who will be leaving shortly to spend a year in Argentina. While I was there, we did a quick home improvement project that added a nice splash of color to her kitchen.
A neighbor had given Maura these beautiful tiles you see here in the center of each square. The framework was already on the wall. I won’t even get into that story… but will just say the framework was put there as a way to hold the wall together because the plaster is crumbling! (It’s a very old caretakers cottage that is rented).
We first applied some tile adhesive to each square and centered a big tile in the middle of each square. They are quite heavy, so we shored them up with cut pieces of Popsicle sticks which you see in the next photo.
We smashed up some black tiles and just filled in the space around each center tile.
For this center tile, we were running out of black tile, so decided to throw in some green tile pieces and border those with the black. The adhesive needs to cure 24-72 hours and then it will be grouted and sealed. This makes a great back splash!